Skip to content
Canada to hit US with retaliatory tariffs as trade war escalates
Canada's Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced retaliatory tariffs on the United States after Washington imposed a 50 percent levy on $20bn worth of Canadian goods.
Carney, speaking in Ottawa on Saturday, said the new Canadian tariffs would target US steel, dairy and electronics industries among others and take effect on September 8.
"Canada will match Washington's new tariffs dollar for dollar in order to protect Canadian workers, farmers, families, and businesses," Carney told reporters.
US President Donald Trump's new tariffs hit sectors including wine, furniture, dairy products, cement, clothing, fishing rods and hockey equipment, and cover some $20bn worth of goods, or 5.5 percent of Canadian exports to the US.
Trump responded to Carney's announcement saying "Canada wants the benefits of being a State, without being one!!!" He claimed Canada has also charged US farmers "massive amounts" of tariffs for years, and added, "No more!!!"
Carney is one of the few global leaders to retaliate against US tariffs and has pledged to forge new trade and military alliances, despite Canada's dependence on the US for nearly 70 percent of its exports.
In Ottawa on Saturday, Carney said the talks with the US broke down after Trump set conditions that were ultimately unacceptable even though earlier talks had been positive.
"In recent days, the United States proposed new terms that were uneconomic, unfair and undermined the net benefits for Canada, and called into question the reliability of any deal," Carney said, adding these demands included curtailing Canada's ability to forge new trade deals.
"We cannot accept what they've offered, and we will not give what they've asked."
He added that US negotiators also made unacceptable "threats" to the French language and "Quebec culture", referring to the French-speaking province in eastern Canada.
He said Canada will impose tariffs on US steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics, along with some products the US previously targeted in Canada. The government will release details on its response in the coming days, he said.
He added that Canada would announce support measures next week for industries hit by the new US duties, adding these measures could last years.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford, one of the most vocal opponents of US tariffs, supported Carney's decision to retaliate.
"I'm glad he didn't sign that deal because it was a bad deal. It was a bad deal for Ontario. It was a bad deal for the auto sector, the steel sector, and manufacturing sector," Ford told reporters on Saturday.
In Port Colborne, Ontario, resident Stuart Edwards said the trade war was going to "hurt everybody" and "it's just sad".
"We have a bully in Washington, and he's just hitting us all with the big stick all the time," he said. "And we're not going to put up with it; Canada isn't. We'll fight back."
US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told Fox News on Saturday that no new talks are planned with Canada.
"We're moving forward with measures that respond to Canadian retaliation," Greer said. "They've always had the best deal, and they still would have an even better deal, but they didn't want that."
The escalating trade war meanwhile has been met with anger by Democratic lawmakers and governors from border states including Minnesota, New York and Washington, who blamed Trump for triggering chaos that would raise costs for US businesses and families.
"Needlessly picking fights with our allies and raising prices here at home. That's Trump's economic policy in a nutshell," New York Governor Kathy Hochul posted on X.
The Business Roundtable, a group of 200 chief executives of leading US corporations, also warned the new tariffs "risk raising costs for American businesses and families", and urged both governments to resume negotiations.