Frozen copy retrieved 2026-08-21T20:37:00Z for audit 2026-08-21T20-51-49Z. Original URL: https://www.newsweek.com/john-roberts-supreme-court-trump-white-house-ballroom-update-12352349. The Stochastic Parrot does not host or redistribute; this snapshot exists solely so that quoted spans remain verifiable if the original page changes. Character offsets below index into this plain text; highlighted spans are the quotes cited in the audit.

John Roberts Says Donald Trump's White House Ballroom Construction Can Continue

Newsweek · back to the audit
By Gabe Whisnant and Steve Mollman. Aug 21, 2026. U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts on Friday temporarily allowed President Donald Trump's $400 million White House ballroom project to move forward while the justices consider an emergency appeal from the administration. Roberts' order pauses a lower-court ruling that would have halted construction pending congressional approval. The ruling blocking the project had been scheduled to take effect Friday. Roberts, who oversees emergency appeals arising from Washington, D.C., signed the administrative stay while the full court considers the case. An administrative stay temporarily preserves the status quo while the Supreme Court reviews a more formal request for relief. The one-page order did not explain Roberts' reasoning or indicate when the justices might act on the administration's request. A spokesperson for the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which is challenging the project in court, told Newsweek: "We are aware of the administrative stay. To be clear, this is not a final decision on the merits of the government's stay application, and we await further action." Trump welcomed the decision in a Truth Social post, writing: "We are grateful for the Decision of the United States Supreme Court. The Military/Ballroom Complex being built on the hallowed grounds of the White House, which is so vital for National Security, will be THE GREATEST OF ITS KIND!" The president also said the project was "under budget and ahead of schedule." The Trump administration argues that the project is necessary for national security and says work is already 65 percent complete, with crews operating 20 hours a day, seven days a week. Court filings say roughly 250 workers are assigned to the project. Administration lawyers have said the planned 90,000-square-foot ballroom is being built on the site of the former East Wing, which Trump ordered demolished. Trump recently described the project as including bomb shelters and other security features buried beneath the ballroom. In court filings, Justice Department lawyers cited recent threats against Trump, including assassination attempts, in arguing that the wider project, which includes security and military-related facilities, is needed for national security. Preservation groups challenging the project contend that Trump lacks unilateral authority to undertake the overhaul and have accused the White House of attempting to "outrun the courts" by accelerating construction before judges can intervene. In upholding the lower-court ruling this month, the appeals court said the administration's national-security arguments were "not an automatic get-out-of-law-free card" and found that congressional approval was required before the ballroom project could proceed. The dispute is the latest legal fight to reach the Supreme Court as Trump pursues an expansive view of presidential authority. The administration has secured several victories on the court's emergency docket, though the justices have also ruled against some of Trump's policies after full review. The appeals court's majority also said presidents are "temporary tenants, not the owner" of the White House and therefore cannot unilaterally undertake such a significant alteration of the complex. Newsweek has reached out to the White House via email on Friday afternoon for comment. The legal fight centers on the scope of the project and how it is being financed. White House Ballroom Plans: What's Being Constructed. Trump's administration says the project is far more than a ballroom. According to court filings and public statements, the planned development would replace the demolished East Wing with a roughly 90,000-square-foot ballroom capable of hosting about 1,000 guests. The administration has at times referred to the broader development as an integrated military and security complex rather than simply a ballroom project, arguing that the above-ground ballroom and underground facilities function as a single unit. How Much Will the White House Ballroom Renovations Cost? The White House ballroom project is currently estimated to cost about $400 million. Trump and administration officials have repeatedly said the ballroom itself will be funded through private donations, including contributions from the president and other supporters. However, the project's cost has risen over time. The White House initially estimated that the ballroom would cost about $200 million before later revising the figure upward. The funding has also become a point of political contention. While administration officials say taxpayers will not pay for the ballroom itself, Republicans in Congress have separately proposed funding for security upgrades connected to the wider project. Supporters argue that any public funding would be limited to security improvements, while critics contend taxpayer-funded upgrades would effectively help finance the broader development.