Skip to content
Supreme Court rejects Trump's long-shot effort to overturn E. Jean Carroll verdict
The Supreme Court on Monday denied President Trump's long-shot request to reconsider his appeal of writer E. Jean Carroll's $5 million sexual abuse verdict.
The president asked the justices to rehear the case after they declined to take up his argument in June.
The new, one-sentence order denies it again without comment or any noted dissents.
Rehearings at the Supreme Court are virtually never allowed. Court rules prescribe that they're only permitted when substantial, "intervening circumstances" take place.
Carroll took Trump to trial twice after coming forward during his first presidency with claims that he sexually assaulted her in the 1990s in a Manhattan luxury store. The president has denied her story.
He petitioned the high court after a jury awarded the advice columnist the $5 million by finding the president liable for sexual abuse and defamation. Trump's appeal said jurors improperly heard from other women who've made assault claims against him.
The court denied the request. Carroll received her payout, plus interest, last month.
In urging the justices to reconsider, Trump pointed to his still-pending appeal of Carroll's second trial win. That jury awarded her $83.3 million over additional defamation claims. The case is proceeding on a slower timeline and remains pending at the Supreme Court.
Trump is advancing a presidential immunity defense. He argued that if the justices ultimately agree, that will impact the other case, too.
"That is a paradigmatic reason to at least hold a petition," the president's lawyers wrote.
"When a forthcoming or pending case may affect the proper disposition of another petition, the Court may hold the related petition, and later resolve it in light of the lead case," they added.
"The American People stand with President Trump as they demand an immediate end to all of the Witch Hunts, including the Democrat-funded travesty of the Carroll Hoaxes," a spokesperson for Trump's legal team said in a statement. "President Trump will keep winning against Liberal Lawfare, as he continues to focus on his mission to Make America Great Again."
"We are pleased that the United States Supreme Court has declined again to hear this case," Roberta Kaplan, Carroll's attorney, said in a statement. "As a result, the jury's unanimous verdict that Donald Trump sexually assaulted and then defamed E. Jean Carroll is now final and cannot be challenged in any court."