Frozen copy retrieved 2026-08-18T00:33:00Z for audit 2026-08-18T00-42-24Z. Original URL: https://eastleighvoice.co.ke/africa/390698/zambia-detains-11-including-opposition-figures-over-alleged-threat-to-state-security. The Stochastic Parrot does not host or redistribute; this snapshot exists solely so that quoted spans remain verifiable if the original page changes. Character offsets below index into this plain text; highlighted spans are the quotes cited in the audit.

Zambia detains 11, including opposition figures over alleged threat to state security

Eastleigh Voice · back to the audit
Zambia authorities have arrested 11 people, including senior opposition figures, in a security operation in Lusaka following last week's presidential and parliamentary elections, accusing them of being linked to an alleged armed insurrection plot.

The government said the suspects had been under surveillance and that some were connected to military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps. It also alleged that high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other materials meant for an armed insurrection were recovered during the operation.

The arrests came as votes continued to be counted on Monday following Thursday's elections, with preliminary results from more than half of the constituencies showing incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema ahead of his main challenger, opposition leader Brian Mundubile.

Mundubile, who is the leading opposition candidate among the 12 other candidates in the presidential race, was also found at the scene of the raid in Lusaka.

He had earlier claimed victory and raised allegations of irregularities in the voting process, including claims of military involvement at tallying centres and problems involving ballot boxes.

He described the Friday night raid as "an attempt on my life", adding that "colleagues were shot" in his presence.

However, the government gave a different account of the incident, saying shots had been fired from the premises at law enforcement officers, leading to an exchange of fire. Secretary to the Cabinet Patrick Kangwa said the people arrested were linked to plans that posed "a serious threat to state security".

He said the individuals had been under surveillance over the last few years and that some were connected to "military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps".

"The operation resulted in the seizure of restricted, high-grade military weapons and the apprehension of suspected members of the militia and other persons found at the scene, while others fled and their whereabouts were unknown," he said.

The government said six of the people arrested had been identified, including George Chisanga, a spokesperson for Mundubile. The others were described as senior members of political parties in Zambia.

Among those arrested was Patrick Mwansa, the husband of Tasila Lungu, the daughter of former Zambian President Edgar Lungu.

Kangwa said those arrested had been charged and would be allowed access to their families and lawyers.

"Among the 11 persons apprehended from the scene of the crime who face various criminal charges include George Chisanga, a NRPUP presidential spokesman; Trevor Mwamba, a leader of a faction of the United National Independence Party; Simon Phiri; Richard Banda; Francis Mulenga; and Patrick Mwansa, a spouse to former President Edgar Lungu's daughter, Tasila; all of whom are being held in lawful custody at various police stations in Lusaka," he added.

The suspects are being held at various police stations in Lusaka.

Opposition representatives had called for the safe return of some members of Mundubile's inner circle whom they said had been detained or had disappeared.

Opposition parties and civil society groups have also accused the government of growing repression ahead of the election, including restrictions on their meetings and campaign activities. The government has, however, denied the accusations.

Mundubile later said he was interrogated by Zambian army officers over two videos he had released and alleged that he had been assaulted while in custody. Authorities later denied the allegations.

He also accused Tanzania of sending people to interfere with the election, a claim the Tanzanian government firmly rejected as false and unfounded.

The Zambia Electoral Commission briefly suspended the counting and announcement of results on Friday, citing violence against polling staff and the theft of marked ballot papers.

The commission lifted the suspension later the same day, saying the security threat had been contained.

The election is widely seen as a test of whether Hichilema's economic gains since Zambia's pandemic-era debt crisis will be enough to secure him a second term in the major copper-producing country.