Frozen copy retrieved 2026-08-17T13:08:00Z for audit 2026-08-17T13-47-50Z. Original URL: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2026/aug/16/trump-blames-vandals-damaged-grass-national-mall/. The Stochastic Parrot does not host or redistribute; this snapshot exists solely so that quoted spans remain verifiable if the original page changes. Character offsets below index into this plain text; highlighted spans are the quotes cited in the audit.

Trump blames vandals for damaged grass on National Mall

The Washington Times (Associated Press wire) · back to the audit
President Trump on Sunday said vandals are to blame for large swaths of dead grass on the National Mall near the World War II Memorial — in the same spot where Mr. Trump had a stage built and hosted crowds for his July 4 celebration.

Mr. Trump made the accusation in a social media post without saying why he believes it's the work of vandals instead of trampled turf from the Independence Day festivities. He posted a photo showing a once-grassy area by the World War II Memorial, now patchy and brown across much of the sprawling turf.

"Look what VANDALS did to the grass connecting the vandalized World War II Monument and the vandalized Reflecting Pool, which will be opened again, and better than ever, shortly," Mr. Trump posted on Truth Social.

"Anybody who thinks the Reflecting Pool wasn't vandalized should go back to Law School!" he added.

Mr. Trump has repeatedly blamed vandals for damage to his renovation projects in the nation's capital, often without evidence and sometimes despite opposing accounts from his officials.

The president lashed out at U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro this month after her office concluded that damage to the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool was the result of poor construction and not the work of vandals, as Mr. Trump claimed.

Authorities on Friday announced an arrest in connection with vandalism at the World War II Memorial, after the words "Clean hands dirty $" were found painted on the monument and bubbles filled a fountain. Ms. Pirro said felony charges are being brought against Melissa L. Farris.

Charging documents in that case make no mention of the grassy area Mr. Trump is highlighting in his new claims. Authorities said Ms. Farris had previously been arrested for camping on federal property a few blocks from the World War II Memorial, but not the area cited by Mr. Trump.

That stretch of lawn is instead where a large stage was built and crowds gathered to hear from Mr. Trump and watch fireworks at a July 4 event celebrating the nation's 250th anniversary. Mr. Trump claimed without providing evidence that more than 400,000 people attended the event before a storm hit the area and delayed his remarks.

Photos from the time, taken by a streaming webcam atop the Washington Monument, show a large bandstand and seating areas covering nearly the entire lawn Mr. Trump now says has been vandalized. Associated Press photos from the days that followed showed workers removing the structures, revealing brown, damaged grass underneath.

On Aug. 1, Mr. Trump posted a different photo of the same area that appears to show the numbers "86 47" — which federal officials have said constitutes a threat against Mr. Trump — emblazoned into the grass. He cited it as evidence rebutting Ms. Pirro's conclusion, calling it "a pure case of VANDALISM, that included the grass."

"There may have been some contractor difficulty, but the major damage was caused by VANDALS!" he posted.

Those numbers are not visible in the photo Mr. Trump posted to social media on Sunday.