Frozen copy retrieved 2026-08-17T00:50:30Z for audit 2026-08-17T00-58-30Z. Original URL: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-orders-major-cut-us-south-korea-drills-north-korea-ramps-up-missile-tests. The Stochastic Parrot does not host or redistribute; this snapshot exists solely so that quoted spans remain verifiable if the original page changes. Character offsets below index into this plain text; highlighted spans are the quotes cited in the audit.

Trump orders major cut to US-South Korea drills as North Korea ramps up missile tests

Fox News · back to the audit
President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to scale back upcoming U.S.-South Korea military exercises on Sunday, arguing that the operations cost too much and send a hostile message to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

At the same time, the president went on to criticize Seoul for declining to join U.S. war efforts to denuclearize Iran.

Writing on Truth Social, Trump noted that while it was too late to cancel the drills entirely, he was dissatisfied with the longstanding military arrangement between Washington and Seoul.

"Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea," Trump wrote.

"These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America (as usual!), but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a Country that, as long as Donald J. Trump has been President, has been unthreatening and respectful."

In the same post, Trump linked his frustration over the military exercises to a separate diplomatic exchange regarding Iran.

"While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, 'No thanks!'" Trump wrote, referring to Lee Jae Myung.

Trump's directive came a day before what is known as the Ulchi Freedom Shield, an 11-day annual joint military exercise scheduled to begin Monday.

The routine maneuvers are to strengthen defense readiness across the Korean Peninsula, where about 28,500 U.S. service members are stationed as part of U.S. Forces Korea.

This year's exercise is set to involve roughly 18,000 South Korean troops, a level similar to previous years.

Pyongyang, however, has consistently opposed the annual drills, with North Korea's Foreign Ministry calling the exercise "a rehearsal for an aggressive war" last week in a statement carried by state media, Reuters reported.

Trump's order to scale back operations also follows a fresh surge in weapons testing by Pyongyang, which conducted two ballistic missile launches within six days this month.

Following the most recent test on Aug. 12, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command said it was consulting closely with regional allies, adding that its assessment indicated the launch did not pose an immediate threat to U.S. personnel, territory or allies.

This is also not the first time Trump has scaled back joint exercises with South Korea. During his first term as well, following his initial Singapore summit with Kim Jong-un, he called the "war games" "provocative" and expensive.